Since June is Men’s Health Month, it offers the perfect opportunity to explore the ways in which you can better support the men in your life or engage with and improve your own mental health concerns. Outmoded gender concepts affect the daily lives of men by causing an environment of stigma around care in men’s lives. This starts very early, as many mental health symptoms in teenagers are considered behavioral issues. This underreporting of mental health issues and reliance on strength over treatment adds to serious problems that affect not only the individual but also society. You can support the men in your life or support your own health by seeking the mental health treatment that you need through Sunrise Vista’s individualized men’s care treatment programs.
Why Is Men’s Health Month Important?
Everybody’s health should be highlighted at some point. It’s important to feel seen and feel like you have space where you can be the best version of yourself. Shining the spotlight on men’s health is uniquely important because men deal with a complicated relationship with mental health concerns, including psychological recovery. Many men in our care find healing in the following programs:
Mental health issues that have sometimes gone undiagnosed since the teen years can undermine men’s rehab efforts. Male recovery is different from female recovery because social standards impose a culture of masculinity that makes it harder for men to seek out treatment.
Today, men may be reluctant to seek help for fear of being seen as weak. Traditional gender roles have supported the male role of being that of the provider. But these roles are shifting. It can be very difficult to ask for help when you are supposed to wear a society-imposed mantle of strength. The best way to support the men in your life in their recovery process is to allow them to seek mental health therapy in an environment that is free of the stigma of treatment.
How Can I Support Men’s Mental Health Awareness?
Some tactics to better garner awareness include expanding the dialogue around mental health issues and showing that strength means asking for what you need. Here are some additional ways you can support men’s mental health issues in your community:
- Discuss feelings with the people around you and listen constructively. If you know a loved one is struggling with mental illness, it is helpful to check in regularly. This shows that you care about their experience, and it can make all the difference.
- If you are on social media, consider sharing mental health screening sites near you via your social media channels. Making sure your loved ones receive the information they need early can help them navigate their needs.
- Educate yourself on the signs and symptoms of common mental health issues. This helps you to understand what others are experiencing, to notice symptoms when you encounter them.
- Be an advocate for the men in your life who may be afraid to admit they need help.
- Invite young men and children into the conversation. This helps them to develop a positive relationship between mental health awareness and to speak out or seek care for themselves as they grow.
Sunrise Vista’s Mental Health Treatment Options
Don’t let men’s health month pass by without seeking the care you or your loved one need. With Sunrise Vista’s inpatient mental health treatment programs, you have a wide array of options to support you on your individual journey toward wellness. Contact us via our simple-to-use contact form 844-942-3007 or give us a call 844-942-3007 for your confidential screening today. Sunrise Vista can help you start your path to healthful living.